(Image from Conservativeinfidel.com)
This is the full article from LevantReport published with the permission of the source (Thanks to John Esq):
The DIA Gives an Official Response to LevantReport.com Article Alleging the West Backed ‘Islamic State’
ON FRIDAY, MAY 22, I contacted the DIA Public Affairs office seeking official response to my May 19 article entitled, 2012 Defense Intelligence Agency document: West will facilitate rise of Islamic State “in order to isolate the Syrian regime”. DIA Public Affairs did not respond at that time.
YESTERDAY (5/26), THE DIA CONTACTED ME via email and requested that I submit my questions. Today, May 27, DIA Public Affairs spokesman James M. Kudla contacted me via telephone at 1:37pm (Eastern Standard Time) and agreed to give an official DIA comment to my questions concerning the declassified 2012 DIA intelligence report released through Freedom of Information Act request to Judicial Watch (14-L-0552/DIA/287-293).
THE BELOW IS A FULL TRANSCRIPT of the phone interview. Permission is given by Levant Report to freely copy and circulate.*
James Kudla [JK]: In response to the questions you submitted through email… As noted in the document itself, it’s an informational report and is not finally evaluated intelligence, and the redacted sections in the document released under FOIA means it is not a complete document.
Brad Hoff [BH]: Does this document forecast in 2012 that the external powers supporting the Syrian opposition would allow an Islamic State in Eastern Syria in order to isolate or put military pressure on the Syrian regime?
JK: I have no comment on the contents of the document, nor on your interpretation of the document in your article. To reiterate, the document is raw information and has not been interpreted or analyzed, so it is not a final intelligence product.
BH: Does this document affirm that the DoD knew that what the document refers to as the West was supporting an opposition insurgency in Syria that had elements of Al-Qaeda in Iraq, or AQI, within in?
JK: I do not speak for the Department of Defense, only for the DIA. For the DoD you would have to call the Pentagon’s Public Affairs desk. I have no comment on the contents of the document.
BH: Can you confirm that this particular document FOIA released, marked 14-L-0552/DIA/287-293, was circulated among the Joint Staff, USCENTCOM, CIA, DHS, Dept. of State, SecDef office, and those agencies listed under the header?
JK: I can’t confirm how it was circulated or who read it, but we can confirm that copies were sent to its addressees listed in the header information.
BH: Are you able to dispel some current headlines that say the West aligned itself with ISIS during 2012 or at any point during the conflict in Syria?
JK: There are a lot of headlines circulating, I cannot evaluate each one. I cannot comment on that.
BH: Would you like to take this opportunity to dispel any accusations currently circulating?
JK: I have no comment on that.
BH: Are you able to at least deny that the DIA’s analysis revealed that the West backed ISIS at some point during the conflict in Syria?
JK: No comment. I have no additional comments for you.
The above is official comment given to Brad Hoff from:
JAMES M. KUDLA, PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICER, OFFICE OF CORPORATE COMMUNICATIONS, DEFENSE INTELLIGENCE AGENCY, DIA HQ N635i
*Questions or media inquiries for Brad Hoff, managing editor of Levant Report, should be directed to Levantreport(@)gmail.com
The DIA Islamic State Story & Going Out on a Limb with Independent MuckrakingIn “Media and Disinformation”
Will the DIA document on Syria be reported in the mainstream U.S. media?In “Interventionism”
- peteybee says:
Reblogged this on Spread An Idea and commented:
summary of response: “no comment”
- Iceberg (@dunnerkeil) says:
There is nothing to “Comment”, because there was no comment! In Real Life, a “no comment” comment means the answer is “Yes, but I can’t comment.”
Leave a Reply
Subscribe to our RSS feed
NEW! LISTEN TO SCOTT HORTON AND BRAD HOFF ANALYZE RELEASED DIA DOCUMENT ON SYRIA
WHO WE ARE
LEVANT REPORT is composed of a network of Texas professionals who are deeply alarmed by what Washington is doing in the Middle East. The LR Editors are primarily made up of educators—at the university and high school levels—who have lived, studied, and traveled extensively in the region.
News & Viewpoints
- Lessons from Libya: How Not to Intervene, by Alan J. Kuperman – Quarterly Journal: International Security (HARVARD Kennedy School, Belfer Center)
- Turkey and US ‘agree in principle’ to provide air support for Syrian rebels – THE GUARDIAN (UK)
- How the US Helped ISIS, by David Mizner – JACOBIN MAGAZINE
- ISIS Magically Multiplies? by Tim Heckenlively – LEVANT REPORT
- White House Reveals ‘Boots on Ground’ in Syria, but Media Too Giddy Over Special Ops Porn to Notice, by Adam Johnson – FAIR.ORG
- 2012 Defense Intelligence Agency document: West will facilitate rise of Islamic State “in order to isolate the Syrian regime” – LEVANT REPORT
- WATCH: How the CIA Helped Make “Zero Dark Thirty” by Patrice Taddonio – PBS FRONTLINE
- Court testimony: Turkish intelligence armed Nusra and Syrian Islamist rebels -REUTERS
- Gaza: “It is like the cities devastated by World War II” – ORONTES SYRIA
Latest Levant Report
- The DIA Islamic State Story & Going Out on a Limb with Independent Muckraking
- Former MI6 High Ranking Official Alastair Crooke Validates DIA ISIS Document in Huffington Post Analysis
- The DIA Gives an Official Response to LevantReport.com Article Alleging the West Backed ‘Islamic State’
- Guest Analysis by Robert Barsocchini: A Critical Examination of the DIA Document on Dynamics of Syrian Conflict
- Will the DIA document on Syria be reported in the mainstream U.S. media?
- RT NEWS Interview with Richard Lloyd on MIT chem weapons report
- Syria: As the bombs fall, the people of Damascus rally round Bashar al-Assad, by Peter Oborne – THE TELEGRAPH
- Myths about the Syrian Revolution, by As’ad AbuKhalil
- ‘Thank God for the Saudis’: ISIS, Iraq, and the Lessons of Blowback, by Steve Clemons – THE ATLANTIC
- CIA’s Deadly Cultural Ignorance, by Philip Giraldi – TAC
- The Redirection, by Seymour Hersh
- Libyan Society Held Hostage to Trauma, by Abdullah Elmaazi
- The National Security State’s Embrace of Dictatorships, by Jacob G. Hornberger
- NATO Using Al Qaeda Rat Lines to Flood Syria, by Tony Cartalucci
- History lesson: When the United States looked the other way on chemical weapons, by Glenn Kessler
- Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky Interview Excerpts
- Residents of historic Syrian town remain resilient in face of war, by Carmen Jokhadar – AL MONITOR
- The NSA’s New Partner in Spying: Saudi Arabia’s Brutal State Police, by Glenn Greenwald & Murtaza Hussain – THE INTERCEPT
- NATO’s Slow Genocide in Libya: Syria is Next, by Tony Cartalucci
- Time to Defund the Syrian Rebels, by Justin Raimondo
- Does Obama know he’s fighting on al-Qa’ida’s side? by Robert Fisk
- David Bromwich Diary: Syria
- Two-thirds of Lebanon’s Christians believe Hezbollah is protecting the country – AL AKHBAR
- Damascus and Baghdad: A Marine’s Syrian Education, by Brad Hoff FOREIGN POLICY JOURNAL
“War on Syria: Gateway to WWIII” (118 pages) attempts to cover the intricacies of the West’s methods of unconventional warfare and how they’ve manifested themselves over the last several years, finally miring Syria in a state of war. The book also looks at how the violence in Syria is just one part of a much larger geopolitical strategy, and where it may lead next.
Free e-Book: Source material on plight of Syrian Christians and refugee crisis
The war in Syria is growing increasingly worse every day, and it is affecting every Syrian citizen, regardless of ethnicity or religion. But just like in every war, the situation for minorites is even more horrifying. The Christian minority in Syria has no militia and is targeted by everyone. Christian Assyrians/Syriacs and others have become the number one targets for criminals and terrorists. Nuri Kino, journalist and author, has met and interviewed close to a hundred Christian Syrian refugees. He gives voice to this otherwise silent minority in a personal report.
LEVANT REPORT BOOKS
See up and coming Levant Report publications to be released in 2015
UI Brief: Syrian Jihadism
Aron Lund’s excellent 2012 study of Syrian militant jihadist factions published by The Swedish Institute of International Affairs.
Recommended Reading from LR Editors: What Every American Should Know…
An easy to read guide to the Middle East. Informs in a straightforward way about everything you were never told about the Middle East and West’s intervention in the region. Smashes popular illusions while remaining accessible to the average American.
- LR Editors on Syria Chemical Weapons
- Brad Hoff on Secular Syria
- Church of Antioch: West’s “unreal empathy”
- Dr. Wingerd on Orientalism & Syria
- Dr. Heckenlively on Maaloula & Disinformation
- Brad Hoff on Saidnaya Assault
- Terry Cowan in Foreign Policy Journal
- Lucine Kasbarian’s Der Zor Diary
- A Marine in Syria
- Erick Alvarez interviewed on Salvadorization of Syria
- Brad Hoff in SCOOP New Zealand
- LR in Deutsch
- al Akhbar English
- Angry Arab – As’ad AbuKhalil
- Conflicts Forum
- Land Destroyer
- McClatchy – Middle East News
- Moon of Alabama
- Srdja Trifkovic – Rockford Institute
- Syria Comment
- Tom Dispatch
Original LRAMERICAN COLLUSION IN TERRORISM VAST, UNDENIABLE, WAR CRIMES ABOUND; DIA DODGES ALL QUESTIONS RE ISIS by Ziad Fadel